We all know how important it is to add more fish into our diets. This recipe is so easy to make and the flavor is incredible. If you have never baked fish before this is one dish you should try. You will be a success. Always choose fresh fish when possible.
This recipe is from my dear friend Dana Slatkin, “Beverly Hills Farmgirl”.
INGREDIENTS (click to enlarge)
1/2 yellow onion, peeled, sliced as thinly as possible
1 large summer squash or 2 medium zucchini, sliced as thinly as possible
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, plus additional sprigs for garnish
Small amount of butter for greasing parchment
1 large Yukon Gold potato (unpeeled)
4 (4-ounce) halibut fillets, boneless and skinless
1 container cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4cup white wine
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the onions and sauté until lightly golden, about 8 minutes. Add the squash and garlic and continue to sauté until the squash is lightly browned. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme. Remove from the heat and cool.
3. While the vegetables are cooling, prepare the parchment paper: Using a scissors, cut into four 14-inch squares, then fold in halves and cut a large heart shape out of each. Rub each lightly with butter.
4. Slice the potato ¼-inch thick and divide into 4 portions. Arrange the potato slices on one side of the parchment hearts.
5. Season the fish on both sides with salt and pepper and place on top of each portion of potatoes. Top each fillet with a mound of the sautéed squash and onions. Sprinkle with a few tomato halves and season again with salt and pepper.
6. Sprinkle a tablespoon of wine and a little lemon zest over each portion of fish, then top with a sprig of fresh thyme. Seal up each packet by rolling the edges over.
7. Place the fish packets on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes (thinner filets will take less time).
8. Remove the packets from the oven and place the pouches on serving plates. Slit open the paper with scissors and serve immediately.